Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Risen Life

     The title of this post is a play off of the show "The Buried Life." In the show four friends trying to complete a list of "100 things to do before you die," or a bucket list as they are called. This idea became popular after the movie "The Bucket List" where "two terminally ill men (Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson) escape from a cancer ward and head off on a road trip with a wish list of to-dos before they die (Thanks IMDB). Some of my friends were doing them and I won't lie a made one out myself.

     It can be a really cool thing, keeping up with everything you've wanted to do. There's lots of honorable things like getting a college degree, starting a family, setting a lobster from a restaurant free (those were some of mine), but the more I look to Christ the less these things matter. A lot of the things on their were selfish things that really only matter here on this earth, things that won't matter in Heaven. There mainly distractions in life that could hinder our focus on God. We say self I'm going to do this, this, this, and maybe this if there's time.

     I'm not criticizing anyone that has a bucket list, actually I still have one. It's been revised to include two things: love God and love others (Matt. 22:37-40). We love because He first loved us (1 John 4:19). I wish for my main focus to be God and because He loves I wish to love others through my life. I want my life to be in sync with what God wills in my life. I'm taking my thought off of things of this world and placing them where God is.

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God." - Colossians 3:1
   
     We are living a risen life. Dead to sin but alive to God through Christ Jesus (Romans 6:11).

     Is there anything you need to bury?

No comments:

Post a Comment